The 525-acre Lilly-Dickey Woods is located in Brown County approximately 20 miles from the IU Bloomington campus. It was donated to Indiana University in 1942 by the Lilly family for botanical research and art studies. While there were no legal stipulations at the time of the gift, former Chancellor Herman B Wells stated that it was clearly understood by the university that the area was to be kept "natural." True to this statement, Lilly-Dickey Woods has remained a natural area and is completely undeveloped. Lilly-Dickey Woods is a part of the Smithsonian Center for Tropical Forest Science's ForestGEO
database which facilitates long-term, large-scale research of forest ecosystems around the world.